Cricket celebrates as the Master of the Game turns 42.
Born on April 24, 1973, in Bombay, India, Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar is one of the biggest name in the cricketing history. Given his first cricket bat at the age 11, Tendulkar was just 16 when he became India's youngest Test cricketer.
Often referred as 'The God of Cricket' by many, Sachin was credited as a reflection of himself by none other than Australian cricketing legend Sir Don Bradman. Radio 4 extends their wishes to the Master on his 42nd birthday and takes you to a brief journey of the Master from a ‘School Boy’ to a ‘Living Legend’.
This was his first ever interview as a school boy.
A few of the interesting facts about the greatest batsman of the modern day cricket.
1. Sachin Tendulkar is said to be a little superstitious as he always takes the left window seat of the front row in the team bus.
2. Sachin Tendulkar fielded for Pakistan side as a substitute during one of the one-day practice match against India at Mumbai’s Brabourne Stadium in 1988.
3. Sachin Tendulkar preserved his first Test man of the match in 1990, that of a Magnum Champagne for eight years. He finally opened it on his daughter Sara’s first birthday.
4. Sachin Tendulkar has appeared in an Australian reality TV series ‘An Aussie Goes Bolly’ in 2008.
5. Tendulkar's first car was a Maruti-800.
One of the reasons why the cricket world respects him.
Sachin Tendulkar's last ever innings at Lord's during the MCC vs ROW bicentenary celebration match. The Home of Cricket gave a rousing send off to one of it's finest ever players.
Synonym to the word ‘record’, Sachin Tendulkar broke most of the records and set the new ones but one thing that remained constant was the love for the little master in every cricket fan’s heart.
Radio 4 wishes Sachin Tendulkar a Happy Birthday.