Billion heart breaks as Australia wins against the defending champions
Defending champions India ended their world cup journey as they were overpowered by mighty Australians.
Earlier batting first after winning the toss, Australia started off well with a 182 run partnership between Smith and Finch after losing David Warner early in the innings. Smith went on scoring a brilliant 105 of 93 balls and Finch scored a striking 81 setting a platform for a colossal total.
But unfortunately Australia failed to capitalize on the Smith-Finch partnership as India came back in the game striking quick wickets and the Aussies stumbled from 191/1 in the 35th over to 248/5 in the 43rd over.
A quick cameo from James Faulkner 21 of 12 balls and Mitchell Johnson 27 of 9 balls helped Australia ensure a massive total of 328.
Teams batting second had won nine of the last 12 odi's at the SCG and India's openers responded brilliantly setting a solid platform. But losing 4 quick wickets for just 32 runs, dented India's run chase and thus India were reduced to 108/4 in the 23rd over.
Dhoni and Ajinkya Rahane added 70 runs until Rahane edged one straight to Haddin and it was down to Ravindra Jadeja and Dhoni to take things forward. There was nothing that Australia could go wrong with, outstanding direct hits from Smith and Maxwell sent Jadeja and Dhoni back to pavilion. India's fate was sealed once Dhoni departed and then it was just a matter of time until Australian bowlers wrapped the Indian innings at 233.
Australia, the four time world champions with this win, have now won all seven World Cup semi-finals they contested since the inaugural edition in 1975. They will now see the co host New Zealand at finals at the MCG.
1. Teams at the National Anthems.
2. Captains at the toss.
3. Ajinkya Rahane and Virat Kohli roar after the wicket of David Warner.
4. Steven Smith and Aaron Finch added 182 together.
5. Steven Smith does a near 360 as he pulls.
6. Umpire Richard Kettleborough intervenes as Rohit Sharma and Steven Smith have a go at each other.
7. Umesh Yadav is mobbed by his team-mates after dismissing David Warner.
8. Aaron Finch applauds Steven Smith on his hundred.
9. Spidercam captures Steven Smith soaking in his century.
10. Umesh Yadav and Suresh Raina celebrate the fall of Steven Smith.
11. Glenn Maxwell struck 23 off 14 balls.
12. A disappointed Michael Clarke walks off after picking out midwicket.
13. Shane Watson strokes one through the off side.
14. R Ashwin is congratulated on the wicket of Glenn Maxwell.
15. Mitchell Johnson's cameo powered Australia to 328.
16. Rohit Sharma throws his head back after he was bowled.
17. MS Dhoni and Ajinkya Rahane added 70 for the fifth wicket.
18. Shikhar Dhawan and Josh Hazlewood collide.
19. Virat Kohli walks back after top-edging a catch to Brad Haddin.
20. Michael Clarke consoles Brad Haddin after he dropped Shikhar Dhawan on 5.
21. Mitchell Johnson goes airborne celebrating his wicket!
22. MS Dhoni and India crashed out of the World Cup.
23. Glenn Maxwell exults after nailing a direct hit to catch MS Dhoni short.
24. Umesh Yadav was the last man dismissed.
25. Pat Cummins, David Warner and Mitchell Starc thank the crowd.
26. Steven Smith signs off with a message as he wins the Player of the Match award.
27. And the BIG screen says it all.