It was 'Dhawan Dhamaka' at the Melbourne
Winning the toss and electing to bat first, India did no wrong. Having lost Rohit Sharma cheaply, Shikhar Dhawan added 127 with Virat Kohli for the second wicket. Virat Kohli was looking strong but fell short of 4 runs for his fifty.
Dhawan continued with his brilliant display of batting and slammed a century with his career best of 137. He got a good support from Ajinkya Rahane who scored 79 and both together put up a 125 run partnership. With Sachin Tendulkar cheering them from the stands, it was an electric atmosphere at the MCG as Dhoni's men ended with 307/7.
In reply, no South African batsman came close to playing with the composure shown by Dhawan as India's fielders maintained the pressure created by Mohammed Shami's early removal of Quinton de Kock.
De Villiers and Du Plessis were going strong at one stage adding 68 runs for the third wicket as South Africa reached 108 for two before the skipper got run-out.
Faf du Plessis's departure for 55 sparked a collapse of seven wickets for 44 runs and South Africa were bowled out for 177 with 9.4 overs unused.
1. South African team huddle up before the start of the game.
2. Shikhar Dhawan celebrates his century in style.
3. Ajinkya Rahane congratulates Shikhar Dhawan for his brilliant knock.
4. Sachin Tendulkar cheers for Team India.
5. Master captures moments off the field.
6. Hashim Amla dropped Shikhar Dhawan when he was on 53.
7. Ajinkya Rahane lofts this one during his dazzling innings of 79.
8. Faf du Plessis flicks the ball to the leg side.
9. AB de Villiers' run out sparked wild celebrations.
10. AB de Villiers throws his bat after he was run out for 30.
11. MS Dhoni flicks the ball onto the stumps to run David Miller out.
12. Ashwin celebrates after taking a wicket!
13. Whose keeping wickets along with Dhoni, its the Spider cam.
14. MCG was in the ocean of blue.
15. Virat Kohli shakes hands with Wayne Parnell after the match.
16. Shikhar Dhawan signs off with the Player of the Match award.