Pakistan’s dream to revive 1992 celebrations thrashed by Kangaroos
Pakistan, who won the toss and elected to bat, looked a bit nervous as both the openers fell to sharp slip catches. Skipper Misbah-ul-Haq and Haris Sohail did the rebuilding work by adding 73 runs for the third wicket until Maxwell send Misbah packing after he attempted a slog sweep which unfortunately was taken in the deep.
Most of the Pakistani batsmen got off to starts but were unable to capitalize to make it count when it mattered the most. With a disciplined bowling complimented by reckless shots, Pakistan kept losing wickets. Playing in place of Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood damaged Pakistani side the most by taking 4 wickets and thus wrapping up the innings at 213.
Chasing a modest total of 214, Australia were jittery at the start as they lost Aaron Finch after a correct lbw decision which was reviewed. Australia were further down at 59/3 as Warner and Clarke departed, courtesy a serious fiery bowling spell by Wahab Riaz.
Australia’s run chase looked in severe trouble as Wahab Riaz was probably bowling the best bowling spells of the tournament. A dropped catch of Watson added grief to Pakistan in defending a total which was inadequate for the kangaroos.
Smith and Watson soon overcame the fiery spell as the tired Riaz was taken off the attack. And it was no looking back once Maxwell arrived smashing 44 of 37 balls. Steve Smith remained the top scorer for the Australia as the chase down the total in 33.5 overs.
1. Misbah-ul-Haq and Michael Clarke walk out onto the field.
2. Ahmed Shehzad takes evasive action.
3. Aaron Finch holds on to this one in the deep.
4. Sohaib Maqsood is airborne to cut the ball.
5. Misbah-ul-Haq and Haris Sohail put on 73 runs for the third wicket.
6. Umpire Marais Erasmus smiles as Michael Clarke talks to Wahab Riaz.
7. Mitchell Starc is all smiles after dismissing Wahab Riaz.
8. Michael Clarke fails to control a short delivery.
9. Rahat Ali drops Shane Watson 's catch while fielding at fine leg.
10. Wahab Riaz is thrilled after taking a wicket.
11. Wahab Riaz tries to get on Shane Watson's nerves.
12. Wahab Riaz peppered Shane Watson with a few short deliveries.
13. Glenn Maxwell executing an outrageous shot, He surely can hit them even in his sleep.
14. Shane Watson lines up to hit the ball.
15. Josh Hazlewood signs off with the Player of the Match.