Shenwari Shocks Scotland
Asking Scotland to bat first, Afghanistan bowlers did a decent job taking wickets on a regular basis. They were 144/8 at one point. Majid Haq and Alasdair Evans put up a highest partnership of 62 runs of the Scottish innings taking the total to 210.
While chasing 211, Afghanistan suffered a middle order collapse of 5 wickets falling in just 12 runs and were reduced at 97/7. But Samiullah Shenwari produced a brilliant knock building his innings slowly and gradually before opening his shoulders to make an unlikely run chase seem possible.
It was a thrilling match as Samiullah Shenwari got out 4 short for his maiden hundred and Afghanistan still needing 19 runs to win. Ultimately Shapoor and Hassan inched nearer with only five were needed from the last six deliveries until the left-hander clipped one to the square-leg boundary to seal a historic win.
For Scotland, it was an 11th loss in their first 11 World Cup games and this will reflect on a missed opportunity to record their first World Cup win.
1. Shapoor Zadran celebrates the wicket of Matthew Cross.
2. Matt Machan goes low for a sweep.
3. Dawlat Zadran struck in his first over to dismiss Calum MacLeod for a duck.
4. Hamid Hassan attempts his somersault celebration.
5. Majid Haq's bat broke on impact.
6. Alasdair Evans contributed 28 in a ninth-wicket stand of 62 with Majid Haq.
7. Alasdair Evans is delighted after having Asghar Stanikzai caught behind.
8. Josh Davey had Mohammad Nabi lbw for 1.
9. Richie Berrington sparked an Afghanistan collapse.
10. Hamid Hassan makes his ground in time to beat Majid Haq.
11. Hamid Hassan celebrates as Shapoor Zadran is down on his knees after winning.
12. Samiullah Shenwari slices the ball through the off side.
13. Shapoor Zadran held his nerve to hand Afghanistan their first win of the World Cup.
14. Afghanistan Team in 2006.
15. Samiullah Shenwari signs off with the Player of the Match award.