South Africa win their first ever world cup knock out game beating Sri Lanka
Batting first after winning the toss, it probably was one of the worst start for Sri Lanka in this world cup losing both the openers with just 4 runs on the board. Playing his last odi Sangakkara tried to rescue Sri Lanka with a 65 run partnership with Lahiru Thirimanne.
Playing his last odi Mahela Jayawerdene fell to Imran Tahir on 4. And with no support from the other end, Sri Lankan innings ended at a total of 133.
JP Duminy added woes to the Lankan misery as he claimed a hat-trick to be the first South African to do that in a world cup.
Rains did make its out of the blue presence as if to mourn the final one-day innings of one of the game's greatest batsmen and the play was stopped for about 20 mins.
With an inadequate target of 134, The Proteas who have never won a World Cup knockout match since their tournament debut in 1992, chased it down comfortably. Quinton de Kock was the top scorer with 78 not out.
1. Kumar Sangakkara sets off on a run.
2. Dale Steyn was pumped after removing Tillakaratne Dilshan.
3. David Miller leaps in to celebrate with Dale Steyn.
4. Morne Morkel pumps his fist after dismissing Kumar Sangakkara.
5. Imran Tahir is ecstatic after taking the wicket of Lahiru Thirimanne.
6. The rain made a brief appearance at the SCG.
7. Faf du Plessis drives onto the offside.
8. Quinton de Kock celebrates his first fifty of the World Cup.
9. The final goodbye: Kumar Sangakkara waves to the crowd.
10. Mahela Jayawardene gets a hug from AB de Villiers.
11. Imran Tahir signs off with the Player of the Match award.